Friday, July 20, 2012

I'm home! Reflection time..




It's been a few days since my last post, and I know that I'm currently in the middle of writing all about my amazing trip to Rimini last month, but I'm going to have to sidetrack for at least one post. I've just arrived in New York for my month-long visit and there's definitely a need for a reflective post..

Yesterday at 6:30 am, I hopped in a cab to get to the Firenze train station. The sun was almost fully risen, but as we drove over Ponte Santa Trinita, I looked to the right at the Ponte Vecchio and the beautiful scenery all around it, as I always do when I ride my bike over that bridge to get home each day. I started thinking about everything that has happened to me over the past six months . I've made some amazing life-long friends, drank more wine and Sambuca than I ever thought my body could handle, seen some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world, improved on my Italian (kind of), and have become what was my ultimate goal for my time in Italy-- a local. It's been a dream.

I've also made my fair share of mistakes here. This city has changed me... I think mostly for the best, but living in this fantasy world for so long has made me lose myself a little bit sometimes. Anyone who has lived here for more than a couple of months fully understands what I'm talking about. But I guess if that's going to happen, the best time for it to happen in my lifetime is now, when mistakes are really just lessons that need to be learned and applied throughout the rest of my life.

That being said...I have one month in New York to see the most important people in my life, have a blast, enjoy the good parts of the life that I left behind six months ago, and to see how the “new me” survives in the real world. Can't wait !

Oh, and to eat all of the bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches that I want. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...