Thursday, August 16, 2012

Goodbyes and life decisions


I feel like it was yesterday that I wrote my last reflection post, as I sat on the airplane enroute to New York from Rome. But here we are, almost a month later, and I'm starting to pack and say my goodbyes yet again.

It's been quite an interesting four weeks. It started with a week-long family vacation on the Jersey Shore, which was SO needed and super relaxing. The rest of the time consisted of many trips to New York City to see friends, a crazy sunday at Boardy Barn, and some sun and pool time on Long Island. Lots of family bonding and catching up with good friends.. exactly what I needed.

Boardy Barn!

My Florence friend Sara and I being tourists

This trip back home has been so much fun, but also overwhelming . While I've absolutely loved my time in Florence, New York City will always be my first love, and being back in it made me realize just  how much I've really missed EVERYTHING about it...

On top of that, all of my friends have started their careers in the city, and because of that, their lives are very different from the one I have in Florence. While I'm having a blast being paid to have fun, waking up whenever I want to, and experiencing life in a foreign country as a naive 23-year-old, they have structure, schedules, and responsibilities, but most importantly-- they have money. I know that money isn't everything, but it would be nice to be able to go out to a nice dinner with friends and not have to worry about every eurocent I'm spending.


And I, of course, have really missed my friends and family.. the people who know me best. It's going to be so difficult leaving them again.

The view from our boat... sometimes I forget how beautiful Long Island is


Tomorrow, I'll be celebrating my 23rd birthday in New York City with a ton of friends from my hometown, JMU, and Florence. It's going to be the perfect way to end my month here, as I'll be hopping a plane back to Italy on Sunday. It's going to be bittersweet heading back there, but I'm excited to see my friends and to see what these next four months have in store for me. I'll also have to make some decisions as to where I want my life to take me...

It's all so up in the air, but that's exactly what I love about my life...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...