Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Recipe time: Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

If there's one post that's going to prove to my readers that I have pretty much no finite direction with this blog, it just may be this one. But, it's a rare occasion these days that I cook, and even rarer that I cook something that's of some substance and doesn't involve pasta. So I thought I'd document it, and I figure that this would be a great recipe to pass onto my readers, because if I can make it....anyone can.

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

You will need:
4 Bell Peppers, halved and seeded
1/2 lb lean ground turkey breast
1 packet of taco seasoning
2 cups of cooked rice
1 cup chopped onions 
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup of frozen corn (I forgot to get this at the store, was still good without it FYI)
1 16 oz. jar of salsa
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (a "Mexican Blend" will also do)
Olive Oil

Optional:
Cilantro
Sour Cream
(I didn't include both of these because 1- I hate chopping cilantro and 2-sour cream is icky/not healthy. Do what you want.)


1. Coat those halved peppers with olive oil and stick 'em in a baking dish, like below.. 
2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and roast the peppers for 20-25 mins. When done, remove and let them cool off so you can handle them.


3. Meanwhile, cook the ground turkey in a skillet and boil the rice.
4. Sauté the onions, and once they are cooked through, add the cooked rice, beans, and corn.
5. Combine the turkey, everything with the onions, salsa, and taco seasoning in a bowl and mix. It should look like this...

6. Fill the cooked peppers with the stuffing and sprinkle cheese on top. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven, add your selected optional extras, and you've got these delish little guys...


They were a hit. Easy to make and not too expensive! We had some stuffing left over and put it on crackers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...